Security Checks will be required for performers, DJs, and bands for all student parties and concerts held on campus. All non-students and students performing at these events will require University Police security check approval. The Events Management Committee, student event organizers, and program advisors may request a security check if deemed necessary. Security checks will not be required for anyone performing at the following: poetry slams, cultural shows, fashion shows, and University Cafe Performances.
Security checks for non-Stony Brook University students must be submitted at least 4 weeks in advance. Security checks for Stony Brook University students must be submitted at least 3 weeks in advance. The performers are not approved until the security check is successfully completed and approved by University Police. Security coverage may be increased based on the result of the security check.
Security for Student Activities Center and Stony Brook Union events is crucial to the success of programs. The Undergraduate Student Government Events Management Staff will be required for all events that have ticket entry. Contracted external security, University Police, and Events Management staff is required for parties and concerts. All security charges are the responsibility of the sponsoring group. Security requirements have been designed to provide a safe environment for the Stony Brook University community. Security and Risk Management plans for department events will be coordinated by the Assistant Director of Facilities Operations.
Stepping is allowed only if all performers wear sneakers or rubber sole boots with non-black bottoms. Shoes are not acceptable. Performers are responsible for any damage to floor surface.
Strolling must be discussed at the pre-event meeting. At this time all parties will agree if strolling will or will not take place. Once the decision is made; it is final. Groups are encouraged to stroll at the end of the event. However, strolling can happen at any time during the event as long as it is approved and announced by the DJ. The following individuals must be present at the pre-event meeting, and can confirm strolling logistics: Facility Manager, Student Activities Program Advisor, USG Events Management Staff Supervisor, University Police, Group representative, and Contracted Security company representative.
If strolling starts before DJ announces or strolling starts without approval, security will follow the following guidelines:
- Security will inform DJ to make an announcement to stop strolling immediately.
- If strolling continues another 3 minutes, Security will turn on lights.
- If strolling continues another 2 minutes, Security will inform DJ to stop music.
- Once strolling stops, event can continue.
- DJ must announce strolling prior to strolling starting.
In the Student Activities Center Ballrooms strolling is encouraged to take place outside of immediate dancing areas. In the Stony Brook Union Ballroom strolling is encouraged to take place at perimeter of the wooden dance floor. Security will encourage guests who are not strolling to avoid interfering with the strolling line.
All Strolling activities and exiting from the venue must be completed by 3:00 a.m.
All guests who enter the Student Activities Center and Stony Brook Union are responsible to comply with the University Conduct Code, policies, and procedures.
Entrance to a student party or concert includes all of the following:
- All patrons enter the line with a valid ticket. CSS Officers confirm everyone in line has a ticket.
- The proper ticket color is verified with proper Stony Brook ID card if patron is a student. For non-Stony Brook students a Driver's License or Learner's Permit or Passport or Other Official University / College ID cards and proper ticket color (non-student) are required for entry.
- All patrons' tickets are collected and the patrons are stamped with the proper color stamp indicating student or non-student status.
- Stony Brook students must have their ID swiped and stored in the computer. Non-Stony Brook University guests must have their picture taken along with acceptable form of ID as listed above.
- All patrons go through the metal detector station.
- All patrons go through the pat-down station.
* There is only one entrance. All who exit must reenter at the entrance and go through pat down, metal detectors, and picture every time they enter.
* Most of the bathrooms are included within the party security coverage. In spaces where the bathrooms are outside the venue, all who leave must re-enter through the one entranceway.
* All performers are subject to entrance procedures.
Students purchasing tickets at Student Activities Center and Stony Brook Union Ticket office must show valid student ID in order to purchase a ticket.
All guests and students must be present at ticket purchase time, and must supply a valid driver's license. The Guest sign-in sheet includes the Stony Brook Student with Solar ID number and signature, and the name of the guest along with the identification type (Drivers license, learners permit, passport). Issuing two different colored tickets differentiates the guest ticket and student tickets.
Departments or External groups which need to sell tickets should contact USG to use the Ticket Office of either the SAC or SBU. The Office of Facilities Reservations should offer to coordinate this service for customers.