Welcome to Stony Brook University! All new international students will participate in a two-part orienation. Both part I and part II are required for all students.
Orientation Part I
Orientation Part I is designed to familiarize you with aspects of US Education and Culture and takes place over a series of days. You will complete an Intake Interview, learn about US Immigration regulations necessary to maintain your immigration status, and meet with an Academic Advisor who will help you put together your class schedule for the semester. Also scheduled are campus tours, workshops, and cultural exchange programs and shopping trips for students who require basic supplies such as blankets and linens. Orientation Part I takes place in the summer (fall admitted students) and in the winter (spring admitted students).
To receive an orientation date
In order to receive an orientation date, you should log on to the SOLAR system. Here you can accept your admission by:
- paying your tuition deposit online
- paying your housing deposit (if applicable)
- paying your orientation fee
- completing the New Student Preferences form
When you complete these steps, you will be assigned the specific international student orientation date and will receive materials in the mail with your orientation date.
How to prepare for orientation
- TRANSFER STUDENTS, please click on the following links to complete your preparation for orientation: Orientation Checklist for transfer students and Preparing for advising and registration.
- FIRST-YEAR (freshmen) STUDENTS, please click on the following link to complete your preparation for orientation: Freshmen Orientation Checklist.
Orientation Part II
Orientation Part II, also known as Experience Stony Brook, focuses on getting acclimated to the University climate, culture, and community. Experience Stony Brook takes place during the weekend before the beginning of the semester. Students who do not attend Experience Stony Brook will automatically be enrolled in the ROME (Required Orientation Makeup Experience) course.