Orientation Leaders (OLs)
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are role models as well as sources of support and information for new first-year and transfer students. They play a major role in facilitating the adjustment of new students and their families to the Stony Brook community. They share accurate information about academic, personal, and social resources while working collaboratively with faculty, professional staff, and student staff from other areas on campus.
Required Dates for Summer 2015
Orientation Leaders work on average 3 days a week from late May through late August. The exact dates are available in the position description which can be accessed by clicking HERE. NOTE: Dates updated 3/17/15.
OLs assist with:
- Leading discussion groups with incoming students and family members
- Assisting in the preparation of orientation activities and materials
- Explaining academic opportunities and procedures
- Acquainting new students with campus services and building locations
- Aiding in the development of class schedules
- Assisting in the class registration process
- Conducting campus tours
We are looking for a diverse group of students who possess the following qualities:
- Good academic and disciplinary standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5)
- Campus or community involvement (i.e. service, extra-curricular activities, etc.)
- Punctual and dependable
- Team player
- Positive attitude
- Flexibility and ability to think on your feet
- Public speaking skills
- Ability to work with diverse students, parents, faculty and staff
- Desire to be a leader and role-model, including on-campus, online and in the community
- Desire to assist new students in their transition to Stony Brook
Our Orientation Leaders receive:
- Compensation via hourly pay OR summer housing
- Breakfast and lunch during orientation sessions
- Orientation Leader uniform shirts and jacket
- Valuable leadership development opportunities including working as part of a team, public speaking, flexibility, thinking on your feet, and small group facilitation
- Connections with faculty, staff, and peers that often lead to other opportunities on campus
- Develop great friendships
- Possible opportunity to participate in year round social and professional activities through the orientation office
Orientation Leaders begin part-time training in April and full-time training at the end of May. Training is provided and mandatory for all Orientation Leaders. Orientation Leaders work from the end of May through the first day of classes, typically 3 days per week. Accommodations are made for Orientation Leaders wishing to take Monday/Wednesday summer classes. Exact dates will be available in January 2015.
Application & Selection Process
More information about the application and selection process is available here.
Email us at OrientationLeader@stonybrook.edu or call us at 631.632.6710.