Summer Orientation (Orientation Part I)
Orientation Dates & Times
Summer orientation (part I) takes place on specific Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays. Transfer orientation days are scheduled for mid to late June and mid August. You will be assigned an orientation date based on your intended major and the order in which your deposit and new student preferences form are received. Once you have been assigned a date, you will receive a postcard to your home address with your orientation date and a list of items to complete to prepare for orientation. Students who are unable to attend the orientation that they are assigned are encouraged to contact the Orientation Office at (631) 632-6710 as soon as possible to schedule an alternate date.
Students must attend orientation to register for fall classes. You may notice an Orientation Hold on your account. All new students will have this hold prior to attending Orientation Part I. The hold will be removed at orientation for you to register for your classes.
Orientation part I is a half day program for most transfer students. The morning session begins at 8:30am and will end at approximately 2:00pm. The afternoon session begins at 12:30pm and will end at approximately 6:00pm. Please arrive at the SAC lobby no later than the start time and plan to stay for the entire time period. Some students will be scheduled to arrive one hour early for the afternoon session (11:30am) for a special program with their major or department prior to the start of the normal orientation session.
Preparing for Orientation
Orientation occurs in the Student Activities Center (SAC). Students will spend most of their day in the SAC. Students driving to orientation should be sure to park in the H Lot, also known as the Student Activities Center lot (Faculty/Staff Lot). Parking cannot be validated for the parking garage or other areas of campus. Click here for additional information on traveling to campus.
The Orientation Checklist contains critical information on what many students must complete prior to their orientation date. Students who do not complete these items prior to orientation may be unable to register for necessary classes due to missing information.
For a smooth orientation day, please remember to bring:
- Government issued photo identification
- Immunization and meningitis forms if not previously completed (It is preferred that you mail these in at least 2 weeks ahead of time to ensure a smooth orientation day. If you have already mailed them in, bring copies to orientation just in case.)
- Most recent transcripts including coursework currently in process (can be unofficial for initial review)
- Syllabi/course descriptions from previous schools for math, journalism, business, and all science courses
What Happens at Orientation?
During your orientation, you will
- have breakfast (morning orientation session) or lunch (afternoon orientation session)
- meet with other transfer students
- have your picture taken for your ID card
- have an individual appointment with an orientation advisor to review your prior coursework and choose courses for the fall
- work with an advisor, faculty members, and Orientation Leaders to register for fall courses
- attend a presentation on "Commuting to Stony Brook" or "Living On Campus"
- learn about technology at Stony Brook, how to access your Stony Brook email account, and how to navigate the SOLAR system
- take a campus tour (optional)
- visit the information fair (optional)
During summer orientation, students are allowed to bring up to two guests, however guests will not be allowed to participate in the orientation program with the student. Family members and other guests are welcome to attend the Family & Guest Orientation, which takes place in a separate area of the Student Activities Center. For more information on the Family & Guest orientation, visit the Family & Guest page.
In addition to your summer orientation day, you are also required to attend Experience Stony Brook (part II) at the end of August. You will attend a series of programs and activities designed to acclimate you to Stony Brook and introduce you to faculty, staff, and fellow students.
Students who have questions about orientation or require an accommodation (including dietary needs) should contact the office of Student Orientation and Family Programs at (631) 632-6710.