Participation & Check-in Policy
The growth of the Group Fitness Program necessitates the need to limit the number of participants in fitness classes for member safety and enjoyment. Please note the class size limits for each Wellness Studio; 128: 45 participants, 211: 30 participants and 216: 28 participants, unless otherwise noted in the class schedule, Fitness Class Schedule.
- Registration for all classes will be available online:
- Visit www.recreation.sunysb.edu and click on “Online Portal” on the right or visit https://members.reccenter.stonybrook.edu/default.aspx
- Registration opens 24hours prior to the start of class, and ends 1 hour before the start of class.
- Each participant will be checked in by a Fitness Attendant from a registration list.
- Participants registered must be present 5 minutes before the start time in order to confirm their place in the class, if not, it will be forfeited to the wait list.
- Once class starts, the doors will be closed for its’ duration. There will be no late entry into the studios once classes have begun.
- If you have changed your mind about a class, accidentally registered for the wrong one or need to cancel your registration for a specific class please contact the Campus Recreation Center office at 632-7168.
- Frequent fitness class registration without show may warrant restrictions to the Group Fitness Class Registration and Campus Recreation Center alike and is under the discretion of the Assistant Director of Campus Recreation, Fitness & Wellness.
You must use your SBU ID card to gain access to the Campus Recreation Center.
All classes are on a first come, first serve basis. You may register online for the class you wish 24 hours prior to the class beginning, see Class Registration Instructions.You need to arrive at least 5 minutes prior to the class start time, if you have registered and are not present within the 5 minutes of start time you will forfeit your registration. No late entry will be accepted. It is advised you arrive early!
Class Participation Minimum:
* There is a minimum number of participants required in order to hold a Group Fitness Class. The minimum class attendance must be three (3) participants or greater. If there are less than three (3) participants that show up to a class, the class will be canceled. Classes in which there is consistently low participation (i.e. less that three (3) participants) will be removed from the Group Fitness Schedule.
These changes have been made due to the review of the Group Fitness Class statistics and the costs associated with staff payroll in light of strained operating budgets.
Registered undergraduate students can participate for free. Faculty, staff and graduate students require a current membership to participate, which are purchased online at https://members.reccenter.stonybrook.edu/default.aspx. For more information on memberships please contact Durron Newman at email@example.com.Campus Recreation Center Membership Information
Please see our Program Notes for more information.