PROFESSIONAL & PARA-PROFESSIONAL STAFF FAQ
A: As a member of the Residential Programs Division of Campus Residences, Resident Assistants are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with the goals, objectives, and ideals of the Department of Campus Residences. Listed below are the general expectations of the Resident Assistant. Specific expectations from supervisors will be discussed at the start of the position.
- All Resident Assistants (RAs) must maintain at least a 2.50 semester and cumulative
grade point average (3.00 for graduate Resident Assistants)
- All RAs must earn at least 12 credits (9 credits for graduate Resident Assistants) each semester.
- All RAs must be in good academic standing with the University, not having any financial blocks on campus accounts.
- All RAs must be in good disciplinary standing with the Division of Campus Residences, meaning no documented judicial violations on record.
- All Resident Assistant positions are for one contract cycle which is indicated by the contract dates found on the Statement of Understanding & Acceptance. Please note that the actual start dates will be reflected in the statement of Understanding & Acceptance.
The following are the basic contract months for a Resident Assistant:
Undergraduate Residence Halls: August - May
West Apartments: June - May
Chapin/Schomburg: August - July
A: You can apply for the Resident Assistant (RA) position if you are a part time student; however, the semester you start the RA position, you must be registered as a full-time matriculated student.
A: Resident Assistant (RA):
An RA is a student who facilitates the development of a community within a given hall, floor, or group of suites. There are at least four RAs in each building, and the number increases with the student population in a given residence hall.
Residence Hall Director (RHD):
An RHD is a professional staff member who lives in the building and supervises the RAs and OAs (Office Assistants), and maintains a healthy and safe environment within the building. Each residence hall has 1 RHD.
For further information visit http://www.studentaffairs.stonybrook.edu/res/