COMPUTERS, PHONES, & OTHER TECHNOLOGY FAQ
A: From your own touch-tone phone, call 2-0222; it will give a tutorial on the phone features.
A: For information on how to set up a student website follow this URL: https://tlt.stonybrook.edu/StudentServices/WebSpace/Pages/default.aspx
A: To access your Phone Mail from your own phone, do the following:
1. Dial 6-0000
2. Enter # (to indicate you are calling from your own phone)
3. Enter 111# (this is your temporary (unsecured) password)
4. The system will tell you that “You have logged onto the system using a password that is not secure…” You will be required to change your password at this time.
Passwords may be as long as 24 digits.
To access your Phone Mail from another phone, do the following:
1. Dial 6-0000 (631-216-0000, for off campus)
2. Enter your 5-digit extension number, then press #
3. Enter your password, then press #
PLEASE NOTE: Both you and your roommate share the phone mail box.
A: SOLAR (Student OnLine Access to Records) is an online tool which provides multiple resources to students, such as viewing grades online, changing personal information, and accessing financial aid information.
You can log in to SOLAR here: http://www.sunysb.edu/solarsystem/
A: After you have set up your computer, you can then connect it to the campus network using one of the Ethernet wall jacks located in your room. If you need to purchase a cable, you can go to the Seawolves Marketplace located in the SAC lobby. Depending on where you live, you will need either an RJ-11 or RJ-45 type ethernet cable on the wall end. All residence halls also have wireless built-in so you can connect via Wi-Fi as well.
A: Wi-Fi is available is the residence halls and academic areas on campus.
A: Students and faculty can purchase discounted computers from Dell and Apple by going
A: For the complete Blackboard Student User Guide, visit the following URL:
A: For all Internet related problems, contact Client Support at 63(2) - 9800.
A: You can download the latest version of Symantec Antivirus from Resnet or from Softweb.
The Resnet Link is: http://resnet.stonybrook.edu
To go directly to softweb: http://softweb.cc.sunysb.edu
A: Full line of software with support and updates are available from softweb including Symantec Antivirus, Secure Shell (SSH), X-Windows, as well as Windows updates, patches and fixes for common bugs.
Students can go to https://it.stonybrook.edu/services/software-catalog/browse to see the list of software.
Students can download Anti-virus and much more from the softweb page located at the following URL: http://softweb.cc.sunysb.edu/.
Log in using your Stony Brook ID and birthday in YYMMDD format for the password. Every student should be able to access this page. If you are not authorized to log in, contact Client Support at extension 2-9800.
A: Any machine connecting to the network for the first time will need to be registered with Resnet. Until this is done, only the Computer Registration web page will be seen, and no other websites or internet resources will be accessible.
To register your computer, go to URL http://register.resnet.stonybrook.edu and follow the instructions. You will need your NetID and password.
A: For password-related issues or if you forgot your password to any of the services listed below, please refer to the following:
A: Yes, for a complete list of locations, click here: https://it.stonybrook.edu/help/kb/locations-of-wireless-networks
HBO GO® is the latest addition to Stony Brook University’s digital offerings and provides on-campus student residents with instant, unlimited access to HBO® programming anytime, anywhere at no extra charge.
• With HBO GO included in your on-campus housing package, Stony Brook University students get their own HBO GO account to enjoy everything they love about HBO online at no additional charge. Anytime. Anywhere.
• On-campus students can enjoy every episode of every season of the best HBO shows, including HBO original programming, hit movies, sports, documentaries, comedy specials and more in HD (for most titles) right from their computer (PC or MAC) and select tablets, mobile devices, streaming players, smart TVs and game consoles.
• Over 2,000 Titles At Any Given Time • Virtually all of HBO’s programming inventory now available online with instant and unlimited access to over 2,000 titles
• With HBO GO, watch new episodes of your favorite shows and hit movies simultaneously as they premiere on HBO.
• Includes bonus features, behind-the-scenes extras, soundtracks and cast information
• “Watch list” bookmarks content for later viewing
• Get HBO GO wherever you want—on your computer, laptop and select tablets, mobile devices, streaming players, smart TVs and game consoles. Any way you watch it, HBO brings you the best.
HOW TO SIGN INTO HBO GO
1. Visit HBOGO.com or download the HBO GO app
2. Click “Sign In” to get started
3. Scroll down to select Stony Brook University as the TV Provider
4. Follow the on screen prompts to continue authentication by logging in with your Solar NetID
5. Create an HBO GO user ID
6. Start Watching!
Students at Stony Brook University who are currently enrolled and reside in on-campus housing are eligible to access HBO GO.
On-campus Stony Brook University residents can go to www.hbogo.com or download the HBO GO app, click “sign in” and scroll down to select their school from the dropdown list. Complete authentication by following the onscreen instructions.
You can access HBO GO using computer (PC or MAC) and select tablets, mobile devices, streaming players (Roku), Samsung smart TVs and game consoles (Xbox, Playstation 3). More Screens. More Content. More Ways to Watch.
HBO GO is available on computers and mobile devices anytime, anywhere – on or off campus. Game consoles and connected TV devices can only be used on your school’s campus network.
NOTE: HBO GO® is only accessible in the US and certain US territories where a high speed broadband connection is available. Minimum 3G connection is required for viewing on mobile devices. Some restrictions may apply.
Support for wireless is available from Client Support by calling 631.632.9800.