Welcome to the Residential Computing Centers at Stony Brook University. We are committed
to providing residential students with the technological resources necessary to expand
their education "beyond the classroom". Each undergraduate quad has one computing
center. Each lab is equipped with Dell desktop computers with flat screen monitors,
a scanner, and a printer. We also extend our services to any faculty or staff who
would like to host an event using our facilities. Clubs and organizations are also
welcome. If you are interested, please contact us.
All university students will eventually need to use a computer, whether for typing papers or conducting research. However, not everyone has access to a personal computer. With this in mind, the Division of Campus Residences has created computing centers for residents. The Residential Computing Centers are ideal for residents who desire the latest technology, yet do not want to travel far. With helpful and supportive staff, convenient hours, and a wide variety of software applications these centers make researching and writing papers easier.
Hardware and Software
- All centers feature computer hardware and the most versatile software packages, including a text recognizing scanner program. Residents will work on Dell Optiplex GX790-1010 computers and print their work on Xerox printers.
- Each computer is loaded with Windows 7 operating systems. Software Packages include Microsoft Office Professional for word processing, spreadsheets, databases, and presentations.
- In addition each workstation is linked to the Internet and the University’s computing resources. Residents may communicate via Email, conduct research, or check their university records.
- All labs are equipped with an Epson Perfection scanner.
The Division of Campus residences offers a number of conveniences through the Residential Computing Centers, including staff, location, and scheduling. Each center is maintained by a staff of resident students. These students have extensive knowledge of all the hardware and software applications available for residents, and are happy to share this knowledge. Student staff provides technical assistance and support, as well as training in the various programs. The Residential Computing Centers are located within all residence halls across the campus, for convenience and accessibility to all Stony Brook residents. The centers are located in:
|Chapin Apartments||Chapin Commons||631-632-6843|
|Kelly Quad||Baruch College||631-632-6592|
|Mendelsohn Quad||O'Neill College||631-632-6279|
|Roosevelt Quad||Center for Global Studies & Human Development||631-632-6987|
|Roth Quad||Cardozo College||631-632-4969|
|Schomburg/West Apartments||West E Commons||631-632-4927|
|Tabler Quad||Douglass College||631-632-4942|
In addition to the convenience of being so close to home, all centers are available to all residents, free of charge.
In order to accommodate our residents' busy schedules, the Residential Computing Centers offer late night and weekend hours.
Fall and Spring Semester Hours
|All Computing Centers (except Chapin)||Sunday||3pm-2am|
|Cardozo Additional Hours||Monday-Friday||12pm-4pm|
Summer Session Hours
|Chapin Apartments||Chapin Commons||May 27 - August 15||Sunday-Thursday||6pm-12am|
|Roosevelt Quad||GLS/HDV Center||June 2 - August 8||Sunday-Thursday||6pm-9pm|
|Roth Quad||Cardozon College||July 13 - July 16||Sunday-Thursday||6pm-9pm|
|Schomburg/West Apartments||West E Commons||May 26 - August 15||Sunday-Thursday||6pm-12am|
- Anyone who enters the lab must have Stony Brook ID.
- Only residential students are permitted to use the lab.
- Eating and drinking is not permitted in the lab.
- Disruptive behavior is not permitted in the lab.
- Installing, modifying or deleting software from the computers is prohibited.
- If you leave the computer for more than five minutes, you may lose use of that computer.
- Printing will be limited per user. Any abuse will cause loss of printing privileges.
- If the lab is full and students waiting are doing work, you may be asked to give up your computer if you are using the computer for recreation.