Furniture RequestsPer the Terms of Occupancy, any additional furniture and/or mattresses that are not provided by the University (since the University furnishes all spaces) are not permitted in any residential facility. Prohibited items include, but are not limited to: ottomans, desks, chairs of any kind, bookshelves and bookcases, foam-based mattresses/toppers/pads and air mattresses.Exceptions to this include:
- Furniture approved by Disability Support Services
- Furniture meeting CAL 117 standards and approval by Residential Risk Management
- Toppers/pads must meet the same standards of University-issued mattresses (a blend of cotton and polyester).
How to obtain approval from Residential Risk ManagementResidents that would like to obtain furniture in addition to what is already provided by the University must obtain approval for an item prior to the arrival of the item to campus. Residents are urged to obtain approval prior to purchase to avoid possible fees or complications associated with returning or removing an item.First, the resident must meet with the Residence Hall Director of their building to discuss the item they intend to bring into the residence hall. Residents should be prepared to discuss which exceptions they qualify under and have supporting documentation available for the item.Supporting documentation includes:
- the make, model and specifications of the item
- a link to the manufacturer / re-seller website
- intended use for the item
- a picture of the itemNext, if applicable, the Residence Hall Director will assist with submitting your request for exception to Residential Risk Management.Please note that approval for qualifying exceptions are reviewed in depth on a case-by-case basis. Please allow for at least 7 business days for a response to your request. Response time may vary depending on the time of request during the semester.