Stony Brook University may activate Shelter-In-Place procedures in the event of an active shooter situation. The following actions are recommended for protecting yourself in an active shooter situation.
- If you are not in your office or residential hall go to the nearest room.
- Close and lock the door.
- Turn off the lights.
- Seek protective cover. Stay away from doors and windows.
- Keep quiet and act as if no one is in the room.
- Do not answer the door.
- Call 333 from any campus phone or (631) 632-3333 from your cell phone to contact the University Police Department if it is safe to do so, providing each dispatcher with the following information:
- Your name
- Your location (be as specific as possible)
- Number of shooters (if known)
- Identification or description of shooter
- Number of persons who may be involved
- Injuries if known
- Wait for police to assist you out of the building.
During an active shooter situation The Department of Emergency Management will utilize all necessary means of communications. Individuals are encouraged to monitor the SB Alert website and sign up for SB Alert Emergency Notifications.