Skip Navigation

For International Faculty & Visiting Scholars

You must have the SUNY International Health Insurance coverage while researching, studying, or teaching at Stony Brook University.

When you arrive, contact Visa and Immigration Services located in the Melville Library E5310. They will fill out an insurance enrollment form with you. You may pay for the health insurance online at by check, cash or credit card at the Bursar’s Office, located in the main lobby of the Administration Building.

Once you are enrolled in the health insurance plan, you will receive information directly from GeoBlue and instructions on how to print your insurance card.

You may use the student health center if you bring a letter from your department on letterhead and a check for $169 made out to Student Health Services. This fee will be good for the semester*.

Health Insurance for International Visiting Scholars & Faculty (.pdf)

*Fee subject to change.


For Optional Practical Training Participants

Once you graduate from Stony Brook and obtain OPT status, you may continue your international student health insurance plan. You cannot have any lapse of insurance coverage between the mandatory insurance and this extension plan.

If you wish to do this, you may apply at the Health Insurance Office at East Side Dining, Room 157. Be sure to bring a copy of your I-20 pages 1 &3 and your EAD card.  Please contact the insurance office at or (631) 632-6054 with any questions.

As an OPT participant, you will have a $50 deductible for every NEW medical problem for which you need medical services. This deductible cannot be waived. In addition, you can no longer use Student Health Services once you begin the OPT insurance coverage.



OPT and Scholars Insurance Plan (.pdf)

ISHI Dependent Brochure (.pdf)

How to file an eClaim

Find medical providers in the United States

Search for Doctors and Hospitals in International Destinations

Login to Edit