Patient Rights and Responsibilities
- To receive considerate and respectful care at Stony Brook Student Health Center.
- To an explanation of the diagnosis, treatment and prognosis in understandable terms.
- To receive all necessary information to participate in decisions with regard to your care.
- To refuse treatment and be informed of the consequences of making this decision.
- To privacy.
- To confidential treatment of disclosures & medical records and, except required by law, be afforded the opportunity to approve or refuse their release.
- To know the names and titles of people involved in your care and the right to change practitioners.
- To a full explanation of any research or experimental procedures proposed for treatment and the opportunity to refuse to participate.
- To be informed of possible changes related to your treatment.
- To another medical opinion.
- To provide accurate & complete information about your medical history and inform clinician of any changes in your health status that could effect your treatment.
- To adhere to a prescribed treatment plan and to dicuss any desired change with your clinician.
- To act in a considerate and cooperative manner with the Student Health Center Staff.
- To ask questions and seek clarification regarding areas of concern.
- To weigh the consequences of non-compliance regarding instructions, recommendations and followup visits.
- To assist the clinicians in compiling a complete record by authorizing the Student Health Service to obtain necessary medical information from appropriate sources.
- To keep appointments on time.
- To cancel appointments only when absolutely necessary and far enough in advance so
other patients might utilize that time.
Download the Notice of Uses and Disclosure of Information (PDF)