Chapter 1606 - Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve
What is the Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve?
The Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve is an education program that provides up to 36 months of education benefits to members of the Selected Reserve. This includes the Army, Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard Reserves, as well as the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard. It is the first program that doesn't require a person to serve on active duty in the regular Armed Forces to qualify.
An eligible reservist may get education benefits while in a program approved for VA training.
The payment rates (as of October 1, 2012) are as follows:
|Training Time||Monthly Rate|
|less than ½ time||$86.25|
Click here for more detailed rates on the Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve.
Am I eligible?
You may be considered an eligible reservist or National Guard member if:
- You signed a six-year obligation to serve in the Selected Reserve after June 30, 1985, and
- You completed your Initial Active Duty for Training (IADT), and
- You received your High School Diploma or GED before you completed your IADT, and
- You are in good standing in a drilling Selected Reserve unit.
If you stay in the Selected Reserves, benefits generally end 10 years from the date you became eligible for the program if you became eligible before October 1, 1992. Benefits generally end 14 years from the date you became eligible if you became eligible on or after October 1, 1992. Your period of eligibility may be extended, if you were unable to train because of a service-related disability. Typically, your eligibility ends when you leave the Selected Reserves.
How can you apply?
You will need to bring the following documents to the Office of Veterans Affairs (Administration Building, Room 348):
- Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty (DD Form 214)
- Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) (DD Form 2384 or DD Form 2384-1)
- Application for VA Education Benefits (VA Form 22-1990)
- Stony Brook University VA Benefits Enrollment Application (SBU VA Form)
- A copy of your class schedule and bill.
Your unit will give you a copy of your DD Form 214, and a Notice of Basic Eligibility (DD Form 2384 or 2384-1) when you become eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve. You will need to fill out the VA Form 22-1990, and the SBU VA Form. These documents, along with a copy of your current class schedule need to be submitted to the Office of Veterans Affairs.
Electronically: You can also apply online through VONAPP.
Note: You must verify your enrollment the last day of every month during the semester you are certified for benefits. Failure to verify will result in failure to receive payment from the VA.
All Chapter 1606 applications and benefits originating from SUNY at Stony Brook are processed through the VA Regional Office in Buffalo, NY (1-888-442-4551).